Thursday, February 17, 2011

To take him to the circus or not

I want to let Brady do all the things most kids do, to get the chance to have special memories like they do. The problem is if he's not interested it could be a disaster. Would he like a circus? Do I buy tickets and chance it? What if I get there and he freaks out and wants to leave? But what if he gets there and loves it? The stress created between my husband and I when Brady is not happy in public is pretty intense. Now when Brady is anxious about being somewhere he takes off running and boy is that kid fast. Can you imagine him taking off down a street in DC with me screaming chasing after him? -sigh- I can't tell you how many times we've gone somewhere only to have one of his sit with him in the car while the other one is off with the other kids. I feel like we're always dividing. It's not Brady's fault. His feelings of stress and anxiety are legitimate.

I think what I'll do is make a social story for it. There is a great app called Stories2Learn that we have on his Ipad. When he got new shoes (which he hates doing) he didn't want to wear them. I made a social story and after he read it he readily wore his new shoes. Maybe...just maybe if I do that for the Circus.....

1 comment:

Tracy Brown Photography said...

Interesting...I haven't heard you talk about that app. I'd love to see that.