Sunday, January 27, 2008

Oh the fights we have...

Sure sometimes we have the same typical fights typical couples have. But we're not typical. I really think we quit being typical when we found out about Brady's diagnosis. We never get out together, unless we have a kid with us. We nearly always talk about stuff autism related. Right now autism is the driving force in our life. I mean it impacts everything about our life. Getting out just doesn't happen. I often make a joke about Sadie's surprise conception and birth. "It's the only thing we do for fun anymore." That's when anyone has the energy.

Before I tell you about the argument I must tell you that Brady still drinks bottles. At 3.5 he will still drink them and quite honestly we're thankful. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to get all his supplements and protein in him. What food he does eat contains practically no protein. Right now he's refusing to drink his juice cups. He'll only drink bottles of rice milk. He'll flip flop again at some point. Typically I make up all his bottles for the day in an assembly line filling each one with his assortment of supplements. On the weekends however I don't and Robin typically gets up with Brady in the morning. At some point in the day I asked Robin if Brady had gotten his anti-fungals or DMG. Then an argument insued about how I didn't have a chart on the fridge and I argued he should have asked. At that point in time it was too late in the day to catch up. It's not like I've ever forgotten. It's just so easy to get mad at each other over such things.

I am thankful for Robin though. He doesn't ever flake out of changing a poopy diaper and we have LOTS of poopy diapers in this house. He is the one Brady is always dragging around. I can't tell you how many times a day Brady *asks* (nonverbally of course) Robin to swing him. Or pick him up so he can get something out of reach. And sometimes quite frankly it gets old being dragged around. Every time Robin sits down at the computer to try and draft a letter to the school Brady is grabbing his hand off the mouse. It's hard to get anything done in this house between Brady and our resident high needs baby Sadie. And there is always a letter needed to be drafted, or a book that needs to be read, or something needing washing or researched. Sometimes Robin and I feel like we could drown in our list of "to dos". It would take 6 parents to do our job. I certainly know it takes 6 salaries to cover what we need to do.

No comments: