Sunday, February 17, 2008

Still better than the flu shot!

Oh man. I haven't posted in some time. Our family has been hit hard with the flu. It started last weekend with Brooke. She never spiked a fever but layed on our sofa most of the weekend. And we suspected something was up with Sadie as she was not eating like normal. And normal for her is lots of food, especially mushrooms. The sad thing about this is that last Saturday was Sadie's 1st Birthday! Can you believe it? Our baby girl is one! More on that in another post.

So she wasn't feeling well. She started spiking a fever and coughing. You could just see the sickness in her eyes. Then Tuesday morning I fell and fell hard. Oh my gosh I felt like crap. And I still had to take care of Sadie and Brady (the 80's as I call em). Then when I picked Brady up from his ABA session on Weds they said he was falling asleep during his session. I knew then that he was next. We came home and I took a nap with the 80's. I heard Brady whimpering as he drifted off. The next few days were hell. Thursday was my birthday and Valentine's. I was too sick to care. I ended up taking Sadie to the Urgent Care Clinic on my birthday. She had been fairing the flu very well but the Wed night and Thurs all she did was sleep and cry. Nothing made her happy, not even nursing and that's saying something. Sure enough she had an ear infection. Now while I know ear infections can run their course and resolve, I know having the flu and ear infection is miserable. I also know being the mommy with the flu taking care of two kids with the flu I needed some help. We chose to give her the antibiotics and double up her probiotics.

Brady has been running a fever pretty much continously. We've been using suppositories to keep his fever down and to help with the body aches. This is actually a pretty awesome thing. For the first three years of Brady's life he NEVER EVER ran a fever. He never got sick. His immune system was too depressed to actually run a defense. So the fact that he is getting a fever and sick is good news. Things are starting to work. The things we are doing for him are working!

Now I'm behind in getting ready for HBOT. I can't believe we start diving in a week. Thank god the flu hit this week and not next week.

No comments: